American actress, comedian, and all-around legend Betty White has passed away at the age of 99. The “Golden Girls” star brought light to so many people across the globe, inspiring the masses with her relentlessly positive disposition. She even described herself as “a teenager trapped in an old body.” We’ve compiled some of our favorite quotes from the long-time loved American icon. While we could write novels trying to capture the magic of Betty White’s spirit, no one can truly do it justice the way she can.
Betty White was certainly seasoned in her field, working in Hollywood for nearly 75 years. Maintaining a career for that long undeniably comes with challenges, but Betty White’s approach to life was to avoid trying to follow it like a set step-by-step process. This leads us to our first pick.
Betty White Quotes That Remind Us Why She Was So Iconic
- “There’s no formula. Keep busy with your work and your life. You can’t become a professional mourner. It doesn’t help you or others. Replay the good times. Be grateful for the years you had.”
Betty White says thankfulness is vital.
- “So you may not be as fast on your feet, and the image in your mirror may be a little disappointing, but if you are still functioning and not in pain, gratitude should be the name of the game.”
She loved to joke about her diet and exercise routine, revealing a surprising secret to her long, happy life.
- “I’m a health nut. My favorite food is hot dogs with French fries. And my exercise: I have a two-story house and a very bad memory, so I’m up and down those stairs.”
The older she got, the more fun she was having.
- “Best thing about being in your 90s is you’re spoiled rotten. Everybody spoils you like mad and they treat you with such respect because you’re old. Little do they know, you haven’t changed. You haven’t changed [in the brain]. You’re just 90 every place else. Now that I’m 91, as opposed to being 90, I’m much wiser. I’m much more aware, and I’m much sexier.”
Betty White believed if you were gonna make a crude joke, you had to make it count.
- “Well, I mean, if a joke or humor is bawdy, it’s got to be funny enough to warrant it. You can’t just have it bawdy or dirty just for the sake of being that — it’s got to be funny.”
She preferred animals over humans.
- “Animals don’t lie. Animals don’t criticize. If animals have moody days, they handle them better than humans do.”
She shared some wisdom on maintaining a youthful disposition.
- “My philosophy for staying young is [to] act bubbly every day. Drink bubbly every birthday!”
Betty White was a household name across generations, and it’s certain her legacy will live on for many, many more.